Invisalign® aligners are designed to treat a range of teeth straightening issues. The aligners are a convenient option for adults who want to improve the appearance of their smile. Although your teeth might be rooted in their place more firmly, it is still possible to move them. Invisalign can help to shift them into a…
Why Choosing Invisalign® Invisible Braces Over Generic Options Is a Good Idea
There are certain facts that you should be aware of if you are trying to decide between invisible braces like Invisalign® and the other appliances used to straighten teeth, like traditional metal braces, ceramic braces and lingual braces. Any of these devices can be used to fix common teeth alignment problems, like:
- Crooked teeth
- Gaps between teeth
Figuring out if invisible braces or an alternative is right for you
Let us take a closer look at popular ways to straighten teeth.
1. Traditional metal braces
Traditional metal braces remain the best way to deal with the most severe cases of poor teeth alignment, but these appliances are highly visible when worn. It can ruin the aesthetics of the patient's smile during the course of their treatment.
Metal braces consist of metal brackets that are cemented to each of the patient's teeth. The brackets on each row of teeth are interconnected with a metal wire. Tightening this wire increases the force being applied to the patient's teeth.
The benefits of traditional metal braces include:
- Can be used to deal with the most severe teeth alignment problems
- Might be a better option for kids who are not responsible enough for invisible braces like Invisalign®
- Most dentists have experience working with metal braces
The disadvantages that come with metal braces include:
- Facilitates tooth decay, as food particles get stuck under the brackets and wires
- Makes it harder to properly clean the mouth
- Restricts the foods that the patient can enjoy
- Not as comfortable as clear aligners
- Highly conspicuous oral appliance
2. Ceramic braces
Ceramic braces are much like traditional metal braces with a few key differences. Instead of metal brackets, tooth-colored brackets are attached to the patient's teeth. Instead of metal wires, tooth-colored or transparent wires are used to connect the bracket. As a result, the patient gets treatment that is similar to using metal braces, but the appliance is less visible.
The pros of ceramic braces include:
- A great option for children who are not ready for Invisalign® but are worried about being teased
- Not as visible as metal braces
- An effective way to straighten teeth
The cons of ceramic braces include:
- Food particles and debris get stuck under the appliance, increasing the risk of tooth decay
- The device is fixed in place, so it gets in the way of meals and oral hygiene
- Not as comfortable as wearing a clear aligner
3. Invisible braces
These are often the most ideal way to straighten teeth. It involves using clear aligner trays that are almost impossible to notice when worn. The benefits of invisible braces include:
- Hard to detect
- Most comfortable option
- Can be used to treat most alignment issues
- Shorter treatment times
- Does not get in the way of meals or oral hygiene
The disadvantages include:
- Not always the best option for young patients who are not disciplined
- Aligner trays can be lost
- Can lead to some people speaking with a lisp while wearing them
Get started with treatment
Call or visit our Tavares clinic to learn more about the different ways to straighten teeth.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Invisalign in Tavares, FL.
Invisalign® is a good option if you want to achieve a straight smile without braces. Invisalign treatment can help address a variety of issues. These include mild to moderate crowding, crookedness, and gaps. It offers a host of benefits that many individuals may find ideal for their situation. Before opting for Invisalign, it is important…
It is not surprising that teenagers tend to prefer Invisalign® over other teeth-straightening methods. The dentist will recommend this option for parents who want to help their teens get a beautiful smile. Interestingly, they can fix their teeth discreetly without dealing with the inconvenience that comes with braces. However, before opting for the procedure, there…
Invisalign® is one of the most popular forms of teeth straightening, and there are many benefits to treatment. By learning more about the pros and cons of Invisalign, you put yourself in a better position to make an informed decision as to whether or not treatment is appropriate for you.Invisalign is a great way to…